Past Seminars and Taster Webinars:
In April 2019, The Royal College of physicians (London) - Sunway - Cambridge Medical Seminars collaboration held their inaugural seminar at Sunway Medical Centre. This one day event proved to be a success and led to a further two day seminar held at Sunway University in September 2019. The plan was to continue these in-person seminars in 2020 and beyond.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and 2021 and the restrictions put into place by international governments, the decision was made to provide taster webinars online, allowing not just the ASEAN community, but those from across the globe to participate. This series of two hour webinars provided a small snapshot on a variety of topics.
Pandemic permitting, the hope is that face to face seminars will return in 2022.
The first in this series of webinars include Geriatric Medicine, Vasculitis and Lupus and Oncology.
- Understand and Managing Distress - Dr Duncan Ronald Forsyth, Consultant Geriatrician, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust & Adjunct Professor, School of Healthcare and Medical Sciences, Sunway University, Malaysia
- COVID-19 in the Elderly - Dr Ruth Law, Consultant Physician and Geriatrician, Whittington Health NHS Trust in London
- Parkinsons Disease and Parkinsonism in the Elderly - Dr Cheah Wee Kooi, Geriatrician and Physician, Department of Medicine Taiping Hospital, Perak & Programme Committee for the Postgraduate Diploma in Primary Care for Elderly, Sunway University & Trainer for the National Geriatric Subspecialty in Ministry of Health
- An Overview of Vasculitis and Lupus - Dr Cheah Chee Ken Consultant Physician & Rheumatologist, Sunway Medical Centre, Malaysia
- ANCA Associated Vasculitis; Key concepts in Diagnosis and Management - Dr Rona Smith Honorary Consultant in Nephrology and Vasculitis at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust & Senior Research Associate at the University of Cambridge, UK
- Challanging Lupus Nephritis Cases - Dr Mumtaz Patel Consultant Nephrologist, Renal Medicine, Manchester University Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (MFT) & Postgraduate Associate Dean, Health Education England North West (HEE NW) & Deputy Director Conduct and Progress, School of Medicine, University of Liverpool & Vice President, Global – Royal College of Physicians, London
- Emergency Oncology - Dr Sophie McGrath, Consultant Medical Oncologist at The Royal Marsden Hospital, London
- Treatment of Advanced Lung Cancer - Dr Gary Doherty, Consultant Medical Oncologist at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge
- An Intergrated Approach to Oncology and Pallative Care - Dr Khoo Shiao Yen (Caryn), Consultant Palliative Medicine Physician at Sunway Medical Centre and Dr Jennifer Leong Siew Mooi, Consultant Clinical Oncologist at Sunway Medical Centre
- Functional Neurological Disorders: A Common & Treatable Condition - Dr Wendy Phillips, Consultant Neurologist at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge
- Headache on the Acute Take - Dr Adrian Wills, Consultant Neurologist at Nottingham University Hospitals
- Acute Neuromuscular Emergencies: Dr Hiew Fu Liong, Consultant Neurologist at Sunday Medical Centre
- Thyroid: Disasters and Dilemmas - Dr Nadia Schoenmakers, Consultant Endocrinologist at Addenbrookes Hospital Cambridge
- Emergencies Related to the Hypothalamic Pituitary-adrenal axis - Professor Karim Meeran, Consultant Endocrinologist at Charing Cross Hospital
- Diabetes Emergencies: DKA, HHS, ABG, BOHB...OMG - Dr Alexander Tan, Consultant Endocrinologist at Sunway Medical Centre
- Treating the Tormented Joint - Dr Chow Sook Khuan, Consultant Rheumatologist at Sunway Medical Centre
- Acute and Early Polyarthritis - Professor Ali Jawad, Consultant Rheumatologist at The Royal London Hospital
- "Doctor what can you do about my back pain" - Things every Physician need to know! - Dr Mark Lillicrap, Consultant Rheumatologist at Addenbrookes Hospital
- Hepatitis B Eradication - How far are we from it? - Dr Chung Yun Chien, Consultant Gastroenterologist & Hepatologist at Sunway Medical Centre
- Acute Medical Presentations in a Gastro Setting - Dr Cathryn Edwards, Registrar at The Royal College of Physicians London
- Upper GI Bleeding - Dr Ines Modolell, Consultant Gastroenterologist at Addenbrookes Hospital
- What do we need to do to eliminate Tuberculosis? - Professor Salman Keshavjee, Professor of Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- Progress towards a highly-effective malaria vaccine - Professor Katie Ewer, Jenner Institute, University of Oxford
- COVID-19 - an update for clinicians - Dr Ben Warne, Cambridge Institute of Therapeutic Immunology and Infectious Disease, University of Cambridge